Friday, April 11, 2008

Heat Stroke and Frostbite

Is heat more dangerous than cold? That is a question that has been stuck inside the curious part of my brain for quite some time now. However, I don't think I care for the answer anymore because I'm pretty sure I will die of both. Just imagine grilled cat belly, frozen steamed crisp mimming skin, popsicle fingers and toes... Yum.

As I step out of the office of a refrigerator at 6 am, the sun is just done performing its dramatic sunrise and is already glaring with a smug smile trying to say, "Ooooh yeaaah! Now burn, you puny wretched children of Earth! Burn!" My room reminds me of a crematorium furnace and its door is as fancy as the portal to Satan's hell. I know I need to get an AC but I have been planning it for years to no avail. Why? The equation is simple: Me + Intsik = Kuripot or Me2 = Tamad.

Being a day sleeper, I usually end up salted and broiled, not rare but well-done. As that roguish sun bids its daily teary-eyed farewell, the temperature would slowly drop. My siomai body and soul would slowly cool down, making me drowsier and wearier. Sleep, ah... Finally. But what a pribbling lily-liver of all luck, my alarm suddenly goes off screaming, "get up, idiot!" and won't stop until I would shove myself out of bed with the master of all headaches clinging in my head and a dash of vertigo as a garnish.

9:00 pm. Just in time for work. Hey, it's still not late! The moment I reached my cube, cold air slaps my soggy face automatically like a bad habit. My back is facing the giant air conditioner blowing fresh Arctic air. I usually ask the people in charge with the AC to turn it off or increase the temperature but I think they're enjoying the frigidness because it seemed that the place got colder instead. It's a miracle that my stiff fingers didn't break when I slapped them on the table. Teeth chattering (yup, no kidding) and frozen migrained head are now the normal things to have.

What will ever happen to a living thing that has been alternately exposed to extreme heat and cold? It would wilt, I guess... And would suffer from a case of allergy because that is what I actually got in addition to my frozen cooked being. Boiled then exposed to cryogenics. I wonder if this is the reason why I'm going nuts.